Sunday, July 8, 2012

Awesome Photos of the Week

I took some pretty sweet pictures this week that I figured you'd all want to see.  I chose four to share with you.  

Photo #1 is of a drawing Ethan did with a friend.  I gave them a white poster board and they proceeded to draw a war scene.  There were bombs and helicopters and soldiers and this:
In case you can't read that, it says, "You're not the only one with a gun bleeeep."  I think it's both awesome that he censored the swear word and awful that he felt the need to include it at all.  

Photo #2 is of the tie-dye shirts I did with the boys.  I helped them place the rubber bands where they wanted them to be, and the boys did the dye all by themselves, as is apparent by Trent's muddy colors.  He used almost an entire bottle of purple dye.  
Mine turned out pretty awesome, but you'll have to live without a picture of it for now.  And by the way - these were super easy and fun.  Good summer project.

Photos #3 and 4 are of a science experiment that Cameron did.  For his birthday, his Aunt Natalie and Uncle Kamaki gave him a kit with three science experiments.  I hid them in his closet knowing that it would be good to save them for summer.  Below are the results of experiment #1, which had to do with bacteria.
We made the agar in the petri dish and then swabbed the inside of the bathroom doorknob and smeared it on the agar.  Then on the right half of the agar we swabbed some antibacterial cream (Neosporin-type stuff).  As you can see, no bacteria grew where we used antibacterial creme, but on the side without creme there is nasty looking crud growing.  Orange, black, white - gross bacteria.  

But then we moved on to another experiment.  We divided another petri dish in half and two of my children swabbed the insides of their mouths, making sure to rub their Q-tip on their gums, teeth and tongues.  Then each child smeared their sample on their half of the agar.  (I'm not using names to protect the poor children here.)
As you can see, one child had a relatively clean mouth, while the other child grew all kinds of nasty looking white junk on their side.  Unfortunately, that nasty black spot is exactly on the equator of the dish, (though it looks otherwise in the picture), and there is no way to be sure who's mouth that bacteria came from.  But I think it's safe to assume that it was Child B.  Maybe someone forgot to brush their teeth?



2 comments:

  1. 1) Love that Ethan came up with that dialogue for the picture. (and censored it of course)
    2) those shirts turned out awesome!!! I think I'll wait a couple years before trying it with my kids though. :)
    3) and 4) EWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!! and awesome. At the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie, I think you hit on the perfect description of raising boys: EWWWWW and awesome at the same time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...