Thursday, July 12, 2012

One-Zero-Zero

A while back I read this blog post by the exquisite Crystal B, and while I didn't read the book that was referenced, and I think I have the opposite idea of what it was about, it inspired my inner neat-freak.  (And by inner neat-freak I mean INNER.  As in, may have only made an outward appearance once and not since I've had children.)

I decided to get rid of 100 things during the month of July.  Throw away, donate - whatever - I just want 100 things out of my house.  

I just got started today, July 12th, so yes, it is apparent that I also need to make goals regarding my procrastination.  

I started in the bathroom, getting rid of:

  • 6 bottles of Bath and Body works lotion/body spray that I decided I can't use because while I love my mother in law, it's creepy for me to smell like her.  Creepy for my husband, at least.
  • One old computer printer.  A huge one.
  • Cameron's old glasses that I held on to knowing that he would break the others and we'd need a back up.  I'm sure that it's because I thought ahead and saved them that we have never needed them.
  • The electric razor that I bought Andrew for Christmas something like two years ago that he used once, declared garbage and stuck in a drawer to gather dust.
  • One nose hair trimmer, which, needed or not, is never going to get used.


So the grand total for day one is TEN things.  Ten things gone in one day.  I realize that doesn't sound like much, but think of it like this:  Keeping the current speed with which I am willing to toss unwanted garbage from my life, I could be done with this challenge in nine more days. Which leaves me thinking that maybe 100 things is not enough...

Now.  Just between you and me, I brought sixteen new things into my house yesterday.  Does this off-set my progress today and leave me at having discarded a negative six items?

Does the fact that they were all vintage (read *used*) books make it better? 

Hey - don't forget to tell me your favorite movies here.  


3 comments:

  1. Books don't count in the stuff equation. There's always room for books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, books are always acceptable.
    I'm about to start a whole lot of purging over here too. I'm both apprehensive and excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books are welcome anytime! And, you need to fill up that massive book shelf. Once they're on the shelf, they meld into one item... Now I need to go from 12 boxes of books to one bookshelf...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...