Friday, August 3, 2012

Return Of Friday Flick Picker

Happy Friday Everyone! 

As indicated last month, we're resuming weekly-ish movie reviews.  The Flick Picker has graciously agreed to share with us his thoughts on various cinematic achievements as his college schedule allows.  Don't let that last bit there fool you - he's really old. 


This time, I couldn't help but insert in pink my responses to his review.  I realize, David, that this breaks up the flow of your writing, but I couldn't help myself.  Please forgive.


Without further ado....


******************************************

Hello everybody!  Nice seeing you again…

When Bethany and I decided to resurrect this movie review feature, (Hello, it's called Friday Flick Picker) we talked (well she did) about making some wrinkles in the format.  In short, I was excited about writing for fun again and frankly, on Bethany’s blog I feel like a Rock Star, (understandable) so I agreed!   

One of the terms to which I agreed, is that she gets to pick at least some of the movies I am to review, and I get a free movie in the mail from Netflix twice a month on her dime.  (Actually, it's 50 dimes - I'm a big spender.)  Hmmm…I need to work on my negotiation skills.  At any rate, I waited anxiously for the mail to bring me the movie on which today’s review is based.

Movie:           It’s Kind of a Funny Story  (Click title to watch trailer)
MPAA Rating
PG-13 (for mature thematic issues, sexual content, drug material and language)
Starring:         Keir Gilchrist, Emma Roberts, Zach Galifianakis
Box Office:     $6,350,058

First of all I included the box office numbers to illustrate that I believe the movie made about $6,000,058 too much!  I know that Bethany has listed this movie as one of her favorites, so I hope to at least justify my point of view without offense! 

Summary:

16 year old Craig finds himself in the middle of a power struggle between his parents, his friends and his very stressful future that includes applying to get into an exclusive summer school for economics.

Craig’s parents (baaacon!...and cool kid of the week honors to anyone who gets that reference and indicates as such in the comments section) are a bit cliché and are portrayed as the typical parents who believe their children are absolutely gifted and expect nothing less than perfection.  (I guess this might stress me out a bit too…)  

So Craig, who has had thoughts of suicide in the past, wakes up in a cold sweat as he finally completes the act of jumping off a bridge in his dream.  He gets up, climbs on his bike and checks himself into the mental ward of the local hospital.  Unfortunately, the youth wing is closed for renovation, and he is forced to spend at least 5 days of observation with the adult crazies.  (Crazy people are the best kind.)  

He meets “Bobby” an adult patient who is not really crazy, but suicidal.  His points of view on life are interesting to say the least.  

Craig also meets Noelle who is a fellow teenage inmate, who has “cutting” problems.  Noelle has been in the wing for about three weeks and has adjusted fairly well to institutional life.  In short, these two kids end up being good for each other.

In “activity” sessions, Craig is reacquainted with his talents that have been repressed by his parents and life in general.  One of my favorite sequences was when in “music group”, the only instrument available for the latest comer is the “vocal” instrument.  The whole class slips into a “music video” rendition of “Under Pressure” by Queen and David Bowie. (This is the only part of the movie that I felt confident David would like.) Craig unwittingly becomes the “Rock Star” of the floor!  In “Art Group”, Craig also finds himself saturated in his imaginary world and re-finding the “thing” that brought meaning to him in his very early years.

Thoughts:

The movie did feel a bit “Ferris Bueller” ish from time to time in the portrayal that sometimes all we need is a break to find ourselves.  (I should note that Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is one of my favorite movies.)  

In the end, we see that Craig gets the girl, resists his parent’s urgings and returns to life as “normal” – or at least as normal as a the life of a teenager can be.

 I didn't really enjoy this movie because the target audience, I feel, was meant to be late teens to twenty somethings. (I think he just called me immature.) Some of the humor I just didn't get.  There was drug use in the movie that I didn't see the point in.  I don't find Zach Galifianakus all that funny either...(Wha...seriously?) I should note that he is going to be seen with one of my least favorite actors (Will Farrell) in "The Campaign" soon. (There's something we can agree on.  He's crap in everything but Elf.  And what is the big deal about Jim Carrey?) The acting was good as far as character development would allow, but not good enough for me to see past the weak plot and subject material.  In short, I guess that this is just not my type of movie. 
I give this movie 2 out of 5 popcorns.

So – tell me what you think in the comment box.  It is possible that I have missed the mark here, or maybe I am just “too old” to get this take on teenage life.  I am open to criticism as long as it is constructive.  (What he means is - feel free to express a different opinion.  Don't criticize his review or his opinion. Only his wife gets to pick on him.)

Next week’s review - In Time starring Justin Timberlake. (Turns out that David HATES Justin Timberlake, so I think it's safe to say he may end up hating these new rules.  I think he should have to watch What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? next...who's with me?)

Until then, keep your feet up, eat some popcorn and enjoy a movie!

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. I liked that movie. I believe I watched it with Bethany - thanks Beth for the introduction! It was quirky and had a darker sense of humor, two things that messed up people tend to enjoy. ;) I liked that it was totally original. I'd never seen that plot before, at least not close enough to have me comparing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, now that I have seen the trailer, maybe I should have watched it first and then looked for the funny parts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're such a bum! You almost had me convinced that it wasn't a good movie - and then I watched the trailer again and remembered how awesome it was! :)
    One-zip.
    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that especially with sequals, all of the funny parts are in the trailer, and the rest of the movie is crap - I really looked forward to Men In Black 2 when it came out, yet all the good lines were in the trailer and the rest of the movie was crap... I didn't even see MIB3.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen this movie, but I'd actually really like to now. Sort of a lighter, less in your face drama version of girl, interuppted. Maybe? I think I'll check it out and then come back to post my thoughts later. :)
    P.S. I love Will Farrell.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...